Grievance & Complaint Policies & Procedures
Instructional Grievance Process
A Laser Intern who feels that he/she has been treated unfairly or unjustly by an instructor (full‐time or part‐time) regarding an academic process such as grading, testing or assignments, should discuss the issue first with the instructor involved. This conference should be requested by the Laser Intern immediately from the time the Laser Intern knew or reasonably should have known about the unfair or unjust treatment.
This instructional grievance process should not be utilized in a case in which a Laser Intern feels he/she has experienced discrimination. If the Laser Intern feels that he/she has experienced discrimination based on race, color, religion, national origin, gender, age, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation, the Laser Intern should refer to the Director of Operations for guidance.
Steps for Laser Interns to follow for Academic Grievance:
- A request for conference with the instructor. If the problem is not resolved or the instructor has been unable to meet with the Laser Intern, the Laser Intern may continue the process by filing a written complaint with the Director of Operations.
- This written complaint must be filed within three business days from the initial incident with specific documentation including dates, times, materials, etc.
- The written complaint will be made available to the instructor and an official meeting with the Director of Operations will work with the parties to resolve the conflict.
- Every attempt will be made to maintain confidentiality during this process.
- The instructor will not be required to respond to a complaint which is not in writing and which, when appropriate, did not have specific documentation including dates, times, materials, etc.
- If the grievance is not resolved at this level within 3 business days from the date of the official meeting, the Laser Intern should forward to the original written complaint to the Medical Director, Weimin Hu, MD, along with an explanation regarding action taken at each prior level.
- A second meeting will be scheduled with the Laser Intern, Director of Operations, the instructor, and the Medical Director to resolve the issues.
- If after the grievance is not resolved with the Medical Director, the Laser Intern has the option to send the written grievance to the Arizona Radiation Regulatory Agency (ARRA) 4814 South 40th Street Phoenix, AZ 85040-2940 (602) 255-4845 and the Arizona Department of Health Services (ADHS) 150 North 18th Avenue, Phoenix Arizona 85007 (602) 542-1025 for final resolutions.
- ARRA or ADHS will issue a final written determination in the grievance process.
- This level will be the final step in any grievance process.